Thursday 5 November 2015

My creative influences..

I have sewn, knitted, embroidered and crocheted since I was a probably about 7 years old. I don't know where the passion to create came from - I remember wearing wonderful cardigans and jumpers knitted by my Mother - but otherwise, there were no influences close to home. I was never particularly good at any of them being largely self taught but somehow I muddled on.

Janice - a  dear childhood friend of mine whose Mother was at the time a very talented seamstress took me under her wing when I was around sixteen and we spent many a happy weekend sewing. Janice would spend perhaps a couple of weeks perfecting something she'd made - I always remember her wearing a beautiful jacket to school that she had sewn herself. She was also an expert knitter and went on to study at Saint Martins School of Art (or Central Saint Martins College of Art & Design as it is now known). She gradually built up a wonderful, unique wardrobe - where are you Janice? 

I, on the other hand was impatient to wear anything I'd sewn. I can remember going out with a safety pin at the waistband, so desperate was I to wear my newest creation. Finishing seams carefully wasn't really on my radar. What a difference now, when I might spend an age on finishing touches. 

Sewing classes at school were blissful. I can remember sewing a nightdress in a beautiful lavender cotton with a ditsy flower design. A gathered yolk and hand sewn hems - I was so very proud of that nightdress. 

Crocheting was taught to me one Sunday afternoon by a favourite aunt. She used to crochet very delicate, intricate pieces. I went on to crochet bags, waistcoats and blankets, often in quite gaudy colour combinations! 

Knitting teeny weeny cardigans for my three gorgeous baby boys was a pleasure that was so strong I can taste it. I can see myself now sitting happily knitting, too heavily pregnant to do uch else!

However, although I spend a large chunk of my time now sewing and embroidering, knitting and crochet have largely taken a back seat. Most evenings over the last couple of years see me embroidering, while any spare time of a weekend is usually spent sewing yummy blouses and beautiful underwear - a new skill that I'm still a long way to perfecting. There's a whole new world out there of lace, elastic and fastenings that has sucked up waaaay too much of my time. 

Recently however, I have picked up my knit sticks and crochet hooks again and I'm loving it. I can spend hours on Ravelry, have found a whole host of new knitting and crochet blogs and wool shops have become my new favourite place. 

A blanket for a special someone has been gradually growing. Using a pattern from Attic 24, I have been crocheting my heart out. The crocheting came with me last week on our trip to France where I picked up some more delicious wool. 





No comments:

Post a Comment